In 1837, Tiffany & Co founded in New York by Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young. Charles and John borrowed a $1000 loan from Charles’s father to open a “stationery and boutique” store on Broadway. The store originally operated under the names of Tiffany, Young and Ellis. Yet, in 1853, when Charles Tiffany took control and established the company to focus jewelry as well as changed the company name to Tiffany & Co. Besides, the company soon developed as an American style which different from European influence.
In 1902, Charles Lewis Tiffany died and his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became company’s first official design director. In addition, Tiffany & Co works many foundries, jewelers and silversmiths who who will produce goods sold under Tiffany label therefore Tiffany & Co never produced goods in house. For instance, Gorham Manufacturing produces silverware for Tiffany and jewelry produced by jeweler Gustav Manz is under the name Tiffany.